by Tennessee Ledger Staff
Murfreesboro was once the Tennessee State Capitol
During the year of 1811, the Tennessee General Assembly appointed a committee to help decide a new location for the Rutherford County seat. Murfreesboro was named as the state capitol of Tennessee from 1818 until 1826. The population of the ‘Boro was estimated to have 950 residents. The Tennessee state capital was moved to the middle of the State as the population moved to the middle and western grand divisions of Tennessee. The city of Murfreesboro was named for Revolutionary War hero Colonel Hardy Murfree. The site chosen was 60 acres of land belonging to Captain William Lytle. The city of Murfreesboro is home to both the center of population of Tennessee and the geographic center of Tennessee.
Naming of Murfreesboro
The General Assembly named the new town Cannonsburgh, honoring Newton Cannon, who was a young politician in Williamson County. About a month later upon Captain Lytle’s request, the name was changed to Murfreesboro. The naming was in honor of the memory of Lytle’s friend, Colonel Hardy Murfree. In 1817, Murfreesboro was recognized as an official city by the State Legislature and, in 1818, was named the capital of Tennessee because of its central location. Later, Nashville was the capital of Tennessee twice. The first time was from 1812-1817. In 1826, Nashville became the permanent capital of the State of Tennessee. Upon the arrival of the Grand Old Opry in 1925, Nashville would become known as Music City USA.