By Michael J. Sparks
Bob Dylan once said “You better start swimming or you’ll sink like a stone, ’cause the times they are a-changing.” In the fast-paced world of digital media and information dissemination, the ‘times are a-changing.’ No media outlet has felt that change more than CNN. In 2021 CNN’s ratings took a nosedive by a massive 90 percent both overall and in the all-important demographic coveted by advertisers in the first week of the new year.
CNN has faced a series of significant controversies, with one of the most prominent being the departure of its prime-time anchor, Chris Cuomo. He was found to have been clandestinely assisting his embattled older brother, former New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, during the sexual harassment allegations that ultimately led to the governor’s resignation.
With all of the twist and turns of CNN and other major status quo media outlets Joe Rogan emerged as an unlikely hero. With a background in stand-up comedy and a passion for exploring the depths of human knowledge and experience, Joe had built a podcast empire that few could have predicted.
It all began in the early 2000s when Joe Rogan, a former sitcom actor and UFC commentator, decided to try his hand at podcasting. He started “The Joe Rogan Experience,” a long-form conversation podcast that featured guests from all walks of life. It was unscripted, unfiltered, and often spanned for hours. Joe’s unique blend of humor, curiosity, and open-mindedness quickly resonated with a broad audience.
As the years went by, the popularity of Joe Rogan’s podcast skyrocketed. His candid conversations with scientists, artists, politicians, and even controversial figures drew millions of listeners. Joe’s show became a cultural phenomenon, transcending the boundaries of traditional media. He was seen as the everyman’s intellectual, asking the questions that mattered, and exploring topics that were often considered taboo or too complex for mainstream media.
Meanwhile, traditional news outlets like CNN faced growing skepticism and criticism. Accusations of bias, sensationalism, and the spread of misinformation eroded public trust. It was in this climate that Joe Rogan, armed with his massive viewership, decided to take a stand.
One fateful day, during a particularly enlightening episode of his podcast, Joe addressed the issue head-on. He openly challenged mainstream media, including CNN, for their role in spreading misinformation and for their divisive reporting tactics. His passionate plea for truth and transparency resonated with his millions of listeners, sparking a movement that would soon rock the foundations of journalism.
Joe Rogan began inviting experts in media ethics, fact-checkers, and whistleblowers onto his show. He dug deep into the workings of the news industry, exposing sensationalism, corporate interests, and political biases. His viewership eagerly consumed this content, sharing it across social media platforms, and demanding accountability from the mainstream media.
The clash between Joe Rogan and CNN escalated as Joe’s podcast viewership continued to outpace the network’s ratings. Social media was flooded with memes and hashtags, with #RoganVsCNN trending worldwide. CNN, sensing the shifting tides of public opinion, eventually invited Joe Rogan to a live debate on their network.
The debate was a historic moment in media history. Millions tuned in to watch as Joe Rogan, armed with his loyal audience and a mountain of evidence, challenged CNN’s representatives on their practices and responsibility in disseminating accurate information. The debate was fierce, but it was clear that the tide was turning in favor of Joe Rogan and the call for media accountability.
In the aftermath of the debate, CNN announced a series of reforms aimed at improving transparency, fact-checking, and reducing sensationalism. They recognized the power of Joe Rogan’s platform and the growing demand for a more honest and accountable media landscape.
Joe Rogan has achieved a remarkable list of accomplishments throughout his career, showcasing his versatility and impact across various fields:
- Successful Stand-Up Comedian: Joe Rogan started his career in comedy and became a successful stand-up comedian, releasing several comedy specials that garnered critical acclaim and a dedicated fan base.
- Host of “The Joe Rogan Experience”: His podcast, “The Joe Rogan Experience,” is one of the most popular and influential podcasts globally, featuring a wide range of guests from celebrities and scientists to politicians and experts.
- Massive Podcast Viewership: The podcast has consistently ranked among the top podcasts worldwide, with millions of downloads per episode, making it one of the most listened-to shows on the planet.
- Multi-Media Platform: Joe Rogan’s podcast has evolved into a multi-media platform, including video content on YouTube, creating an even broader reach and audience engagement.
- UFC Commentator: He served as a color commentator for the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), bringing his unique perspective and charisma to the world of mixed martial arts.
- Fear Factor Host: Joe Rogan hosted the popular reality show “Fear Factor,” which further expanded his mainstream recognition.
- Acting Career: He’s appeared in various films and TV series, including roles in “NewsRadio,” “Zookeeper,” and “Here Comes the Boom.”
- Influential Conversations: Joe Rogan’s interviews and conversations on his podcast have had a significant impact on popular culture, discussing a wide range of topics from science and philosophy to politics and entertainment.
- Fitness Advocate: He is an advocate for physical fitness and a healthy lifestyle, regularly discussing exercise, nutrition, and mental well-being on his show.
- Philanthropy: Joe Rogan has supported various charitable causes and organizations, often using his platform to raise awareness and funds for important social issues.
- Entrepreneurship: He’s ventured into the world of business, launching products like the “Onnit” supplement line and partnering with companies in the fitness and wellness industry.
- Political Influence: Joe Rogan’s podcast played a role in shaping political discourse and was sought after by several politicians for interviews, demonstrating his impact on the political landscape.
- Championing Free Speech: He’s been a vocal advocate for free speech and open dialogue, often inviting guests with diverse viewpoints to foster meaningful discussions.
- Documentary Appearances: Joe Rogan has appeared in and contributed to documentaries on various subjects, further expanding his influence beyond his podcast.
- Cultural Icon: Joe Rogan’s voice and opinions have become a cultural touchstone, making him a prominent figure in discussions about media, technology, and contemporary society.
Rogan’s influence only continued to grow, not just as a podcast host but as a champion for media integrity. His viewership, now more popular than ever, played a crucial role in pushing for a more responsible and truthful news industry. While the battle for journalistic integrity was far from over, Joe Rogan’s dedication to the cause had left an indelible mark on the media landscape, reminding the world that the power of the people’s voice could bring about meaningful change.
If you would like to send me your thoughts or criticisms please email me at MikeSparksTn@gmail.com